Monday 7 January 2013

Confessions of a (polytechnic) student


This post was loooong overdue in my honest opinion.And before you read any further in reading a terrible story thru the eyes of a (PMS-ing) teenager, I would like to make a disclaimer here.

Disclaimer: All this is a rant of a student that is expressing her opinion of the ridiculous situation and in no means hope to disrespect,harm or ridicule ANY organisation,human or living being.This is JUST a story.So take it easy authorities,if you feel uncomfortable with a valid reason,let me know, I'll take it off public. 

Okay?

Good.

So as a secondary student, I already knew I want to pursue a future in art. Getting into poly seems to be the way to go with a diploma ready and from there, I'll decide once again.I was mentally prepared for the rigerous horrors of deadlines and the demanding assignments.You know?Thats A-OKAY!

Little did I know that admin will ruin the entire 3 years for me.Okay that seemed over-exaggerated.But non-work related things got to me pretty badly.I know how my friend was denied transfer of polys with no valid reason after months of no response,but thank goodness she's all good and well working now.

Issues such as the DPA credits that never came to us DPA students on time and weird events that required our precious time on our projects. As some people already know from my first Final Year Project early in 2012, its generally regarded to be a school project by students for the school but with your own ideas.And in general knowledge of all polys across the board, the school should be the one funding the projects proposed and approved by the board.

Ours didn't.

The reason was never revealed and even though initially they agreed to subsidize us,by the middle of the project, they pulled out this : "if its not up to standard,the school will not fund it"

That really really threw me off.And to this day, I still remembered the total amount we had to fork out on our own.Not disclosing it in case people feel terrible.And no, we kept the book we made in the end and watermarked the crap out of our submissions.I was furious if anyone remembered the incident.

Now,the school wishes to help students even more, by making our grad show BIG. And outside of the school for the first time.Cool! Love the idea.But if its a school event for students...

Why am I forking out money for the booth?

Really.It was not a students choice to go a place where a rent is THAT HIGH. (in case you want to know,its near SG Flyer.) It ain't prom man!When we pick off choices and majority vote,this was the SCHOOL choice.

Thank goodness I was working part-time after my internship and my parents are supportive.What if a student can't afford all this "student contribution" yadah? Do I have to get a money plant and hope it sprouts? (ok,bad joke)

Its not money a factor in general really, but the idea that students seem expendable enough disturbs me and look at all those innocent new art students coming in losing their will and soul ultimately in such an environment saddens me.Its no wonder the SG art scene seem so ...bleak.

I did not write this to make anyone angry or ridiculous of students' first world problems.But I just find the entire system so very flawed.

Also here's all the best to all O'level result takers.All then best and stay cool.So freaking warm today.

Also counting down how long people of 'a greater power' ask me to take this post off. Hn.


No comments:

Post a Comment